Volunteer: Dragon Boat Festival
As you may know, the Honolulu Chinese Jaycees annually supports the Chinatown 808 Dragon Boat Festival with volunteer coordination and dragon boat race participation. The festival was on hold during 2020 and 2021, due to COVID, but this year, on July 30, 2022, we’ll be out in the community, bringing together dragon boat competitors, volunteers, and entertainment!
Due to HCJ’s partnership on this annual event, we are allocated one team entry to build, design, and ultimately race a dragon boat! General information about racing and boat requirements can be found here. The major difference between Dragon Boat races of the past and this year’s is how we’ll race: instead of being on the water this year, we’ll be racing on the ground, with our feet, through a designated course! This change is due to outstanding maintenance needed for the boats on the water. We didn’t want to hold off on the festival for another year, especially with dropped mandates, so we’re creatively resuming this year’s festival with on-the-ground foot-racing with cleverly designed cardboard dragon boats.
Be a dragon boat racer!
We are seeking a team of five (5) racers for the July 30th Dragon Boat Festival. The specific roles needed for racers are three (3) paddlers, one (1) drummer, and one (1) flag-catcher. Part of being on this team includes a few hours, for one or a few weekends between now and July 30th, to design and assemble the boat for race day.
Volunteer for the dragon boat festival!
If you’re not a racer but would like to volunteer, we have the following opportunities for you on July 30th:
- We need 10-15 volunteers per shift!
- Volunteer shifts are the following: 6:30 – 11:30 AM and 11 AM – 4 PM. The event schedule can be found here. If you want to volunteer but need modified hours, please let us know!
- How to help: HCJ’s entertainment area(s), check-in, race timers, race course marshals, runners for race needs, and clean-up
- If you’re interested, please let us know your shirt size by Wednesday 7/13/2022!
If you’re interested in learning more about this event or you’d like to participate in or volunteer for the race, please reach out to HCJ EVP Alena Auyoung ([email protected]) or HCJ Vice President of Community Service and Membership Madi Sym ([email protected]).
- This is for volunteering for the Dragon Boat Festival; this is not for registering a Dragon Boat team.
- The event will not be held at Ala Moana Beach Park; instead it will be held at Aala Park using cardboard and other materials to assemble boats.
History: The Dragon Boat Festival is a traditional Chinese holiday that typically occurs on the fifth day of the fifth month of the Chinese calendar, usually around May or June in the Gregorian calendar.
Saturday, July 30, 2022
- 7:00 AM - 8:00 AM
- Set Up
- Boats will be assembled and set up
- 8:00 AM - 8:30 AM
- Boat Juding
- Boats are judged by organization officials on various factors
- 8:30 AM - 8:45 AM
- Team Briefings
- Team and Team Captains are gathered to learn of official rules of the competition.
- 8:45 AM
- Opening Ceremony
- 9:00 AM
- Race Starts
- - 6:00 PM
- Finish Event
- Clean up
- Timezone: America/New_York
- Date: Jul 30 - 31 2022
- Time: 12:00 pm - 12:00 am